Patience, the NEW Endurance Sport!

May 07, 2024

Recent EntriesHomeJoin Fast Running Blog Community!PredictorHealthy RecipesMarion's RacesFind BlogsMileage BoardTop Ten Excuses for Missing a RunTop Ten Training MistakesDiscussion ForumRace Reports Send A Private MessageWeek ViewMonth ViewYear View
JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
15% off for Fast Running Blog members at St. George Running Center!

Payson,UT,

May 27, 2008

Female

Goal Type:

Age Division Winner

Running Accomplishments:

Payson Canyon Fox Club 4th of July 5K 2008- 27:56 :) (aided-downhill)

Onion Days 5k Route Jan 2010   28:18

Onion Day's 10 K 2007 1:09:36

Provo Riverwoods 10 mi 2008 1:49:09 (aided- downhill)

Riverton 1/2 Marathon March 28th, 2009  2:23:24

UVM 2009- 5:14:49

Short-Term Running Goals:

Recover from being hit by a car while I was running in early October 2010.  Be healed enough to run my planned races.

Planned races for 2011:

UVM 1/2 June 11 (registered)

RHPC 1/2 July 9th

Payson Onion Days 10k (break 60 min)

St George Marathon 4:22 (3rd times a charm) 

Long-Term Running Goals:

I just want to be able to run...

Personal:

I am the self proclaimed FEARLESS leader of the FRB's RED HOT PINK CHICKS!!! Our Motto's are- 2010 "Diamonds and Titanium, Thats what we are made of!"  2009 "We are water-proof-dye-in-da-blue-crazy-nut'n-gonna-stop-us-fun-lovin'-red-hot-pink-chicks!!!" 

The next official RHPC event is the RHPC 1/2(5k, 10k, 10 miler) July 16th, 2011.   PLEASE join us !!! 

My Favorite Quote-   "When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

I started running in May of 2006 while losing 85 lbs after my youngest was born.  I have 6 fantastic kids, 3 girls and 3 boys and a wonderful husband.  My oldest is in college and my baby is in pre-school. (Six kids in 5 schools ;)

www.meltingmarion.blogspot.com

Click to donate
to Ukraine's Armed Forces
Miles:This week: 0.00 Month: 0.00 Year: 0.00
Asics Gel-Nimbus 9 Lifetime Miles: 504.58
Mizuno Wave Rider 13 Blue Lifetime Miles: 216.67
Mizuno Alchemy Red Lifetime Miles: 79.44
Asics Pulse 2 Red Silver Lifetime Miles: 87.90
Total Distance

59:39/11:55 ave, best 8:30, splits- 13:46, 11:35, 11:57(walked a block of STEEP up-hill), 11:27, 10:55

OK- so I have some confirmation of an idea that was sparked by a comment that Sarah(FastRunningMommy) made.  When I first started running, BB (before blog), my goal was to be able to run 3 miles 5 days a week, and 6 miles on Sat.  Once I got there, I would work on getting all of those miles to 10 mm before I would increase my miles.  Well, Sarah had said something about that style of training being a theory of Sasha's for increasing speed.  I need to PM him for clarification.  Secondly, I was reading a comment made about a runner who had been noticing that after all of her speed work, her recover jog was consistently faster than her easy jog day pace.  The response by Sasha was, if I understood it correctly, was that if the recovery jog was consitently that faster pace, it would be safe to run the easy jog days at that pace.  Again, I need more clarification.  What do y'all think???

So, taking both of those things to heart, and considering my personal training and the fact that I am NOT GETTING FASTER, I am going to implement both of those theories.  Whenever I have done speed work, my recovery pace is always in the 11's.  So, after a mile warm up, I am going to run between 11:30-12mm for a month and see what happens, injury wise.  Also, I am going to keep my miles in the 30's, where I know that I am pretty injury free, for a while as I work to increase my pace.  In a month, if I am still injury free, then I am going to consider upping that pace to between 11-11:30.  It is all working itself out in my head.  After two months, I will keep the easy jogs at that pace and resume the tempo work one day a week and see what my recovery pace levels out at.  My big thought is that I am just really comfy where I am, and am not pushing myself.  This trial should show me if I am being lazy or am really running at a pace that keeps me injury free.  If I have to run slowly to keep injuries at bay, than so be it.  BUT, if I am lazy and need to pick things up a bit, then this experiment should show that :)  Here's hoping I am LAZY!!!

What do you think, REALLY, I am curious????

Asics Gel-Nimbus 9 Miles: 5.00
Comments
From Merri on Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 16:54:55 from 160.7.234.108

sounds like a good experiment to me! I'll be checking in for the results :) I love the new picture.

From Smooth on Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 16:57:23 from 71.36.84.65

Finally seeing your new pic. You look like a Hawaiian doll holding a sweet bundle! LOVE IT!!!

K, don't go over analyzing this running thing. Keep it simple. To me there are three key runs: speed, tempo, long. On speed day, run your speed intervals at 90% effort, like you would race a 5K. On tempo day, run the middle miles at a somewhat uncomfortable but steady pace, 80% effort. On long runs and easy/recovery day let your body dictates the pace where you can converse, generally 60-90 seconds slower than marathon pace, say 65-70% effort.

Obviously you can't run lazy on speed and tempo runs. There are alot of wiggle rooms for the other runs: if you're recovering, if the temp is extreme, if you're feeling the groove. Listen to your body and get the feel of what the 10mm pace feel like. If it feels easy, then you know you're improving.

Your experimenting with different pace is certainly a good thing!

From marion on Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 17:55:59 from 71.213.106.139

Merri- Thanks :) It should be interesting as usual.

Smooth- Have I told you lately that I love you?? :) You are right. I have not been consistent with my tempo work, or speed work. My body is ALWAYS saying GO SLOW! My body wants to run at a snails pace ALL OF THE TIME, which is why I am trying to impose a "faster" easy pace. The only time I notice that it is hard is mile 2 and 3. Miles after three, at faster paces, feel the same as the super slow warm up pace. does that make sense? ie- mile one at 13+ mm feels the same effort as mile 4 & 5 at 11-11:30 mm. Mile 2 and 3 are the hardest for me, 2 being the worst and 3 settling in and feeling less "super hard" ;) Today for example, I should have run for 2 more miles. One more mile at 11 mm and then one cool down jog. I think I am a SUPER slow warmer upper ;)

From leslie peterson on Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 19:34:20 from 76.23.61.78

oh girl, you make this seem so hard! Enjoy yourself runner girl!!! I think you are doing great!

From Carolyn in Colorado on Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 22:37:49 from 71.229.164.25

I think sometimes our bodies are ready to go faster and our minds are used to going slow. Sometimes we just need to realize that we can go a little faster and give it a try. I don't know if that's the place you're at right now, but if you are, your experiment will show it.

From marion on Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 23:07:45 from 71.213.106.139

Carolyn- that is EXACTLY what I was thinking is going on in my brain ;) You are a mind reader ;) I am glad that your calf is feeling better :)

Les- I am having fun! Life is only fun if I have a dilemma ;) oh, and a fish taco :)

From artichoke on Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 23:56:40 from 71.37.109.139

I think that Smooth offers some great advice. A good mix of speed, tempo, and distance. The rest of the week, easy running. I don't really believe in junk miles, if you're doing those three things plus keeping the long run at 1/3rd your total weekly mileage and increasing mileage week to week at 10% max. Good hill workouts can and should take the place of speed workouts. You'll do fine and you're already doing great. Keep it up.

From RAD on Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 01:08:47 from 67.166.99.8

I have such a hard time keeping everything straight, this is why I LOVE my BBK's - they plan it all for me and I just have to try and keep up :) The biggest thing for me was running hills (speed work in disguise) and losing weight. I'm definitely no running expert, but I think that's what did the most for me. I'd love to see how your experiment turns out though...I'm staying tuned!

From marion on Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:05:16 from 71.213.106.139

Arti- Thanks :) I love your advice :) I have been doing a lot of "junk" miles and feeling like I have no purpose. The failed tempo last week has me a bit shaken, so a bit of introspective evaluation was bound to happen ;)

Rachel- you hit the nail on the head- NY WEIGHT! I am having such a hard time getting myself motivated to lose more. I want to, but I really am happy where I am. Golly gee! Your tips for more protein have helped me a ton. I am down almost 10 lbs from last year :)

From Fast Running Mommy on Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 14:29:31 from 192.168.1.1

I think the thing I said that you are referring to is that Sasha believes in running 6 days a week. He has always taught me to run what I can every day only if I feel like I can repeat at least that every other day of the week. Did that make sense..That doesn't mean I don't eventually add in some speed work but I try and keep my daily runs at a consistent level that I can handle every day..not too much not too little.

As far as trying to get faster I feel your pain in this area..I do I do. Sasha has recently told me that if I run sub 10 as much as I can on my runs that that is the magic pace that will help me improve. This is a brisk pace for me and I can keep it up for about half my run. I think he is right about this pace for me and I suspect that it is probably a good brisk pace for a lot of us. I would make it your goal to work towards a 10 min mile pace for most of your run..hoping of course that that is a pace that you can maintain without getting an injury. The beauty of the 6 day a week plan is that if you are consistent the injuries happen a lot less..I feel this is probably one of the best of Sasha's theories.

Phew..was that too much?

One last thing..I think you are beautiful and inspiring and I hope you reach your new goals. One thing that helps me a lot is having someone who is a tiny bit faster than me making me keep the pace day after day. Good luck sweetie!

From marion on Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 15:22:23 from 71.219.52.63

Thanks Sarah- and that was just perfect :) I have always had the inner instinct to run 6 days a week, even when I was just starting. For the marathon, I changed that plan to keep the injuries at bay, but running less than 6 days a week created other problems for me (mainly mental, emotional and attitude). Now that I am healed from the marathon, I am SO back and fully committed to 6 days a week. My main problem now, as it is for many moms with young children, is getting up early ;p Running is SO important to me, but my family has to come first. This makes it so I have to get up much earlier than I would like to get the runs in that I crave/need. blah blah blah.... sorry about the lamenting ;)

I would LOVE someone to run with. My best running partner's kids are all in school, and so she likes to go late, too late for me. All of the other runners down around these parts, that go everyday, are TOO fast for me. I just need to suck it up, quit crying when the alarm goes off at 5:30 and GET A GRIP! The good news is that for the few days that I have been doing this experiment, my body seems to settle in at 11:30's :) I really think that I was having a mental block and just needed a push.

Thanks again Sarah! I hope I made sense. My brain is a bit fogged today after a battle this morning with my inner devil, that I somewhat lost :(

From marion on Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 15:25:53 from 71.219.52.63

Sarah- the post of yours that I was referring to was Thu, Jul 16, 2009. It triggered the memory of my initial goal's when I started to run. :)

From Carolyn in Colorado on Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 17:18:58 from 198.241.217.15

Just to add evidence of what Sarah said (Sasha said) about running 6 days/week and injury prevention, I was fine when I was putting in 50-60 miles/week running 6 days/week, but when I had a week of several missed days because of the cruise, then a couple of weeks of 6 days/week, then another week of several missed days because of trek, that's when I got injured.

From marion on Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 18:05:19 from 71.219.52.63

Carolyn- very interesting. How is your calf feeling??

From Jennifer Pachev on Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 18:28:40 from 192.168.1.1

Marion- I'm so glad that my post inspired you. I don't know if everyone knows how much I was NOT a runner or a dedicated anything when Sasha and I first got married. I have seen myself change from couch potato to a "real runner" in a matter of a couple of years. Of course I did have personal training from Sasha every single blessed day for part of that. We put the kids in the stroller and ran my 4-5 miles together. If I was a swearing lady I'm sure I would have sworn at him daily...I am a screamer and got that out of my system every morning on our run together..I don't know what the neighbors thought of that! I would stop mid run and refuse to go any further if he kept demanding that I ran faster....but I did start running faster and I became a different person..truly. Now I am dedicated to running every day and I believe in it..truly I do..it does a body good. :)

From marion on Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 22:42:59 from 71.219.52.63

You do inspire me SO much, Sarah. I hear you on the couch potato stuff. I was right there with you too :) I just get so impatient with myself and wish I was capable of change at a much faster pace :) I'd love to see a video of those screaming runs. I bet they looked pretty funny to the neighbors.

From Sasha Pachev on Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 13:35:39 from 192.168.1.1

The earlier post was obviously from Sarah, not Jennifer. Good idea to read computer messages, it tells you right there above the login box who you are logged in as :-)

Marion - see the forum discussion at http://fastrunningblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,1129.0.html

I am beginning to wonder if the traditional approach of "train at a fixed percentage of your race pace" is valid when your race pace is slower than 9:00, and thus training pace slower than 10:00. I am wondering if in that situation you should train to maximize the mileage covered at 10:00 pace or faster, rather than maximize the distance while reducing the pace to whatever it takes. Which would mean reduced volume and higher intensity until you can run all of your miles under 10:00.

Obviously the concept is valid because there is a breakpoint past which we train to maximize the distance covered at a certain speed rather than the distance covered at any speed. If somebody cannot run (defined as both feet need to be off the ground for at least a small portion of the stride cycle) for even a quarter mile, we do not tell him to walk long distance to train endurance, we tell him to alternate running and walking with the goal to eliminate the walking and replace it with running. Why? Because walking is not very effective for aerobic fitness and weight control compared to running. He can walk all day long and that will not get him very far fitness-wise.

I wonder if there is a certain critical running speed that is fairly independent of the fitness level (that is how long you can maintain it for) that divides the training effect in a way similar to walking vs running. I suspect it is somewhere around 10:00/mile. At least what I see is that I cannot recall a blogger that trained at sub-10:00 and went from less than 30 miles a week to 45+ that did not improve in every distance 5K and up dramatically. Yet I have a hard time finding examples of such improvements for the bloggers that run the bulk of their mileage much slower than 10:00.

So if this is correct, what you should do is warm up, then run 10:00 pace until it does not feel good, jog to recover, and then try again. With the goal to do everything in your power to maximize the weekly mileage at 10:00 pace without overtraining or injury. Think of anything slower than 10:00 as a walking break. In fact, if a walking break makes it possible to run 10:00 again sooner and/or for longer, then take a walking break. Eventually, though, the goal is to get rid of those "walking" breaks completely.

From marion on Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 16:15:37 from 71.219.52.63

Thanks Sasha :) I did gather that Jenny was not commenting on my blog pretty quickly, once I saw the length, and then of course read it, it was obvious Sarah was using a computer that Jenny had been logged into :)

My reasoning for starting out with the 30-40 sec increase in speed, is that last year, when I was doing too many "fast" miles, I got injured. I am thinking that increasing by 30-40 sec per mile every 3-4 weeks, will help me to make sure that I am not going to get injured. Much of that may be a mental reassurance, but it will suffice. I think you are on to something with the "slower than 10 mm" crowd. I have noticed that trend as well, in my year+ on the blog. As a personal note, there seems to be an invisible wall that really holds me at slower paces. Once I push through it, I am fine. As with so many other things, running is very mentally challenging :D

Add Your Comment.
  • Keep it family-safe. No vulgar or profane language. To discourage anonymous comments of cowardly nature, your IP address will be logged and posted next to your comment.
  • Do not respond to another person's comment out of context. If he made the original comment on another page/blog entry, go to that entry and respond there.
  • If all you want to do is contact the blogger and your comment is not connected with this entry and has no relevance to others, send a private message instead.
Only registered users with public blogs are allowed to post comments. Log in with your username and password or create an account and set up a blog.
Debt Reduction Calculator
Featured Announcements
Lone Faithfuls
(need a comment):
Recent Comments: